The Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA) in collaboration with The Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups (HKFYG) is organising the second design charrette in December 2023. This year with the support of Hong Kong Red Cross, Architecture School of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Architects Regional Council Asia (ARCASIA) Emergency Architects and ARCASIA Committee of Social Responsibility, the Design Charrette will be held with the theme “Disaster Resilient Architecture”.
Seminar and Design Charrette will be held to educate the general public and local secondary school students to use their ability of planning and design talent to help the natural disaster victims rebuilding their homes and minimise their affect from the potential natural disasters in the future.
The Design Charrette will be held in 2 parts: (1) Disaster Knowledge and Design Seminar and (2) Planning and Design Charrette
(1) Disaster Knowledge and Design Seminar
Date: 25 November 2023 (Saturday)
Target Audience: Participants of Design Charrette and General Public
- Seminar with sharing on Disaster Risk Evaluation, Placemaking and Engagement, and Temporary Shelter Design, to let participants get to know related knowledge and design skills on Disaster Resilient Architecture
(2) Planning and Design Charrette
Date: 9 December 2023 (Saturday)
Target Audience: Local Secondary School Students
- Design Charrette with the extension of the Seminar topics, participants are expected to design with a preset scenario for Disaster Resilient Architecture, with the guidance of architect volunteers
Design Charrette Architect Volunteers – Brief Roles
- Attend Disaster Knowledge and Design Seminar on 25 November to understand the background and criteria of the Design Charrette
- Attend the Volunteer Briefing Session after the Seminar on 25 November (around 30mins)
- Attend Planning and Design Charrette on 9 December, guiding student participants to finish design in groups according to the Seminar content and the preset scenarios
- Assist in Design Charrette related pre-event organisation duties (to be explained in the Volunteer Briefing)
It was targeting to recruit around 15 volunteers for the Design Charrette. HKIA members are cordially invited to express their interest to become a volunteer to facilitate student participants implementing their thoughts and ideas responding to the topic. In case overwhelming applications are received, volunteers will be chosen by random draws (members who are available in attending both Seminar and Design Charrette will be considered with priority)
Interested members please complete and submit the online application form by 17 November 2023 (Friday) 5pm.
- Review of 2022 Design Charrette
- 2023 Design Charrette Details
For enquiries, please contact HKIA Secretariat Ms. Alison LAM or Ms. Kat TSANG at 2511 6323, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org .