Updates on 14 March 2023:
UIA announced the extention of submission deadline of the Award to 14 April 2023.
19 JANUARY 2023
Lire la version française
Launch: 2023 Friendly and Inclusive Spaces Awards
The UIA has launched the 4th edition of its Friendly and Inclusive Spaces Awards. Organised by its Architecture for All Work Programme (AfA), the Awards were established to promote inspiring buildings and sites that have created socially sustainable environments through high quality architectural design.
A special award is also given for evidence-based design research that makes a significant contribution to improved quality of life through facilitating a better understanding of human-centred design and its application to the design of the built environment.
- New buildings
- Refurbished existing buildings, including historic buildings
- Public and open spaces
- Research undertaken by architect(s) on the theory or practice of universal design
- Built works must have been completed since 30th November 2016 and may be submitted by the lead architect of the project or by the building owner/client with the architect’s permission. Attribution must be correctly presented and agreed in submission when there are number of architects in a team.
- Research by an architect or architects which advances the theory and practice of friendly and inclusive design must have been completed since 30th November 2016. Projects that have previously been submitted may be submitted only one additional time.
The text submitted must be in English.
Built works (Categories 1-3)
- Vassilis Sgoutas, UIA Honorary President, Greece, Jury President
- Kazi Arefin, Previous Award Winner, Bangladesh
- Kate Otten, Previous Award Winner, South Africa
- Udi Pollak, UD expert, Israel
- Angela Rolfe, AfA Regional Director, Ireland
- Erico Abordo, AfA , Alternate juror, Philippines
Research (Category 4)
- Allen Kong, AfA Co-Director AfA, Australia, Jury President
- John Zeisal, Independent Expert, USA
- Jasmien Herssens, Independent Expert, Belgium
- Arina Hayati, AfA, Alternate juror, Indonesia
- 19 January 2023: award launch
- 13 February 2023: deadline for questions
- 17 February 2023: deadline for answers
- 15 March 2023: deadline for submission of entries
- 18 May 2023: Announcement of winners
- 2-6 July 2023: UIA World Congress of Architects
The Jury may award a Medal to the Global Winners in each of the 4 Categories, together with up to 3 Honourable Mentions in each Category. Global Medal Winners will be invited to the UIA World Congress of Architects.
Registration Fee and contribution for travel and accommodation to the Congress will be provided by the UIA to the Medal Winners of each category.
How to participate
Applicants are invited to register on the UIA Awards Platform in order to submit their projects. Participation is free of charge. Please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the Award Page